Sunday, April 17, 2022

Sewing a Potato-Growing Bag from Landscape Fabric. 4.17.22

I read in a book that potato-growing bags can be made from weed suppressing fabric ("Growing Potatoes" by Dion Rosser). But no pattern was provided. We have a roll of landscaping fabric so I decided to try. I measured the diameter of a half-barrel planted and went with that.
I'm making a second one with more precision so will give details when I post that. This one is roughly 2 feet in diameter, with sides that can unfold to 2 feet tall. The top and bottom are reinforced, and the bottom has about a dozen one inch holes cut for drainage, with button-hole type reinforcement around the drainage holes. The sides and bottom ate double layer of landscape fabric. I used denim-weight polyester thread so the seams wouldn't deteriorate with soil contact and moisture. 

 Here is the final result. I planted it with five Kennebec seed potato chunks. The sides are folded down and will be unfolded upwards as needed as I fill in more soil during growth.
This was so much easier than planting in the ground. Incredibly easier. Now the important test is to see how they grow and produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment