Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Rework, Repair, Improve and Extend Drip Irrigation System. 4.27.22

Last year, the areas where I installed drip irrigation were so much easier to water.  For areas without the drip lines, I had to carry buckets of water or haul garden hose around.  I'm not always up to all that work, especially in the heat when it is needed the most.

Plus of course, drip is considered more water conservation friendly.  So win/win.

However, I had to pull out the lines to install and repair the raised beds.

Time to get to work before summer. Waiting too long made it harder for me last year.

This year, each of the beds will have a shut off valve.  So when water isn't needed for a particular crop, I can turn off that bed's water supply and still water the others.  Or, when one needs less water thN the others, I can control that. 

This is the start of the system for the tall raised bed.  Next it will need lines to distribute water to each plant.  I may wait until the lettuce and radishes are done, and tomato plants are in place.  It's not needed yet.


Here it is for the big planter box.   This is an extension to supply water to more garden plants than I did last year.  Last year, I had to hand water this area.The main line is installed.  I'll add the distribution lines when they are needed, although I started some already.



The lines for the garlic are 1/4 inch soaker hoses.  Last year the clogged up and I used a safety pin to punch tiny holes and convert them into minisprinklers.  They are outside the bed because watering isn't needed yet and the lines get in the way of weeding.  It's messy.  I should find a way to make them neater.

The lines are all held in place by brackets.  That's a lot better than having them sprawl all over the place.



There is still a lot of work to do.  I ran out of energy and some of the parts.  I think this was a good start.  About 1/4 of the system is done, or about half of what I had last year, only better.



No comments:

Post a Comment