Sunday, February 13, 2022

Planting Sprouted Potatoes. Planting More Snap and Snow Peas. 2.13.22

These were sprouting in the pantry. It's considered best to use USDA inspected potato starts, but those won't come in mail until April. I like an early start for some. We could have eaten these, but I planted them instead. They probably have boxes of these at the store, but I'm still in quarantine for another month.
I usually plant them in a trench about a foot deep. This year I'm going shallower and will mound soil around them as they grow. I think that's less work. I dug about six inches deep, mixed in general purpose organic vegetable fertilizer ("Dr. Earth") and planted the spuds, covering with about 4 inches of soil. That's all for now.
They are about a foot apart. I also planted short rows of Sweet Ann Snap Peas and Oregon Sugar Pod II Snowpeas, in a spot at ground level, where they can ripen longer and make seeds to save, in case the ones in raised beds don't have enough time. I gave these some wood ash / chicken bone ash for fertilizer, and a rhizobium inoculant.

No comments:

Post a Comment