Wednesday, February 09, 2022

February Seed Starting. 2.9.22

I started some more seeds today. Some were quite old and may not grow at all. Some more chili peppers. Their raised bed has room for at least a dozen plants. Last year I used all of the Serranos from two plants, so I'm aiming for three. Similar for Jalapeños. The Jalmundo is a hybrid between Jalapeño and bell, which basically is a larger, meatier Jalapeño. I think they are stabilized and not F2 hybrid. I don't know if the old Yellow Banana pepper seeds will grow, then I found some newer ones in the seed box.
I planted a different Eggplant from Baker Creek, then found these really old eggplant seeds and planted them too. With old seeds, I plant about twice as many to make up for expected poor germination. I also planted the entire rest of the packet of NY Early onions. The poor germination for the first attempt was frustrating. Maybe the seed warming mat is too much for them, so I will leave them off it. That's an excellent variety, good flavor, long keeper, open pollinated to I was hoping for a couple I could over-winter to grow a seed crop next year.
This is my first ever attempt at growing Florence Fennel. I don't expect deer to eat it. The collards seeds were eight years old so I planted them very thickly. I found yet another packet of carnation seeds in the flower seed box. The ones from 2014 didn't germinate. Maybe these will. The "Jig saw" chili peppers look quite ornamental but the first batch didn't germinate at all. I am trying again. And I am starting some sweetpeas. If the grow, they can go outside almost immediately. I think. I've never grown them before. I'm using an overnight soak although some writers state it isn't needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment