Friday, February 04, 2022

Planting a New Genetic Dwarf Apple Tree. 2.4.22

 Dwarf apple trees are usually created by grafting a "normal" apple scion onto a dwarfing rootstock.  There is a history of doing that going back at least a century.  Genetic dwarf varieties do not need a dwarfing rootstock.  They have a mutated gene, such that the length of stem is significantly shortened.  This is called "brachytic dwarfism".  This is not genetic engineering, it's just a mutation that is passed down through generations of breeding.  Brachytic dwarf tree scion can be grafted onto much more vigorous rootstock, so they are more deeply rooted and need less, if any, support.  The disadvantage is, you can's grow your favorite variety as a brachytic dwarf.

I saw One Green World nursery was offering a brachytic dwarf apple variety called "Apple Babe".  I don't know if it will be good, but the general idea might be nice in my minidwarf apple orchard.  The brachytic dwarf tree should max out at about six to eight feet tall, smaller with pruning.  It's more likely to have excellent leaf cover, similar to brachytic dwarf peaches.

I ordered one as a Christmas present to myself.  It came today.  Merry Christmas!


 I thought this was a very nice specimen.  The roots look good.  The stem is sturdy and has lots of buds.  I'll probably prune the top back by a foot.  Kind of hate doing that, but I want it to branch out low on the trunk.







No comments:

Post a Comment