Saturday, February 26, 2022

An Extra "Raised Bed" Project. 2.26.22

There is some extra space for a few more vegetables or flowers. I don't want the expense and work of constructing an actual, durable, raised bed, but I'd like something there. I found fabric grow-bags on Amazon, shaped like bushel baskets, very affordable. A small fraction of the cost of raised bed construction materials. I also have a couple of plastic "half barrels" the same size. However, arranged together, they look kind of messsy. I decided to build an open bottom "box" for them, approximate dimensions of the other raised beds. They will sit on pallets, 3 1/2 feet by 4 feet square, 4 inches tall so they are slightly up from the ground. From a distance, this should just look like an ordinary raised bed. The containers will be a nice size for smaller clusters of plants, such as shallots, or Thai peppers, or beans, or cucumbers, or lettuce, or carnations. So there, I've just reserved them all even though it's not built. We have aged cedar picket fencing that was removed to build a new privacy / deer fence. It's been laying around. There are multiple sections. They don't look like much at all, but when they are cut, the wood is tan and pink and still fragrant with cedar oils,
It's difficult to picture, but I think I can convert these into a nice, weathered cedar box. The 2 x 4's are pressure treated and also in excellent shape. There are 4 x 4 fence posts, also pressure treated, for the corners and I think I can remove the old brackets to re-use them too.
So today I took apart several sections of the fencing, cut four of the 2 x 4's into eight foot lengths with clean ends, cut the tops and bottoms from the pickets, into 22" tall boards that will constitute the sides of the box. I think I'm about half way through what is needed. If it doesn't work out, those will all fit in the wood stove next winter. :-) I estimate this box can be completed in about a non-rainy week. First is recovery of good wood and cutting it, to make a sort of kit to assemble. Thinking ahead, once the wood is cleaned up and the box is built, and dried by summer sun, I can stain it so it will look like new. Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment