Saturday, January 08, 2022

Using Black Plastic to Kill Sod For Flower Bed. 1.8.22

 This only works if you are not in a hurry.  Grass and weeds won't survive under a sheet of black plastic.  Depending on the season, that requires several months.  I started vegetable beds in 2016 using that method.  The ground was ready by late April.  That link here.

This area will be annual flowers, mainly zinnias, marigolds, cosmos.  I might stick in somecdahlias and sunflowers as experiments to see if deer eat them.   At the back, by the fence, are the forsythias I started for a hedge.  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Daniel. Read this and the linked older post. There's a 10x50 mound where the well-water storage tank is buried, that I did in the "Back to Eden" method several years ago (wood chip mulch over coardboard). It's now a lush patch of weeds! A couple 10x25 rolls of 3.5 mil plastic from the orange box store and some firewood off the pile and by next summer it'll be ready to rehab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that will work. It always does for me. Some people would rototill - too much work. Plus I'm not up to fighting with a tiller any more. Or use a sod cutter. Some would spray glyphosate, but some brands have other herbicides that carry over for a year. I think the black plastic is the best option.

    ReplyDelete