Monday, January 17, 2022

Seedling Progress Notes. 1.17.22

 The peppers are starting to grow.  The Early JalapeƱos are first.  Those are new seeds.  Maybe a Serrano is also emerging.  I look at them too closely but it keeps my mind occupied.  These were planted 1.11.22 so first to emerge was only 6 days. 


One thing I am learning is new seeds sometimes germinate faster and more uniformly, older seeds are slower and more sporadic.   My thought this year is save more seeds, such as from the peppers.  I think the fresh home saved seeds are faster and more vigorous as well as being a frugal and more reliable option.

The carnation seeds started to germinate too.  These are a few years old.  I bought the seeds but forgot to grow them.  


I haven't grown carnations before.  I don't know what to expect.  I'm guessing they will bloom late summer here if I start them now.  I don't know if they will survive the wet Pacific NW winter or whether deer or rabbits will eat the plants.  These are the variety  Picotee mix.  I'm also growing some Chaboud.  It's interesting how little they've changed in the past century.  This image via internet search.  Same as the peppers, 6 days to first sprout seen.

More of the New York Early onion seeds have germinated, but not many.  About a dozen.  I will be happy with a couple dozen, along with the shallots, a few Spanish onions that germinated, and the Whethersfield Red onions.  Some of those should be good keepers.  NY Early is and Whethersfield is described as a long keeper.  I have shallots that are all good from last summer too.



2 comments:

  1. OMG You are way ahead of me in starting seeds. This year I may just put them out in the gardens come around the 10th of May. I have collected so many zinnia seeds this year so I thought, just throw them out in different areas and cover with a thin coat of soil. Hopefully some of them will grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear how the zinnias do. I will direct sow those outside when the soil is warm in May. Ditto for marigolds.
      I'm only planting early the ones I think benefit from such treatment. Most are months away from planting. Peas maybe in Feb or March, Four O'clocks in April, Tomatoes probably late March or Early April. Squashes in May, I think.

      Delete