Thursday, January 13, 2022

First Shallots and Rudbeckias Germinated. 1.13.22

 This seems pretty fast for the first seeds to germinate.  I always wonder, will they grow?

It's interesting, the first onion-family seeds to germinate were the shallot seeds that I saved last fall.  Last year, the fastest squash to germinate were saved seeds, with bought seeds taking one or two weeks more.  Must be the freshness although maybe I let them ripen more thoroughly.  Or maybe it's coincidence.

"Grocery shallot" home saved seeds.


He Shi Ko scallion seeds. These were bought this year.
Rudbeckias, Marmalade and Prairie Sun. It's interesting how reading the internet can make things complicated. I read that Rudbeckias need refrigerator stratification for 4 weeks before germinating. I was thinking about doing that with another batch. but here these are, already growing. Not bad, the first are up seven days after planting.
More of these seeds remain to emerge. I'll keep them on the warming mat at keast amfew more days, then move them close to LED lights for better, stockier growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment