Monday, January 24, 2022

Planting More Seeds. 1.24.22

 I gave up on the first Echinacea seeds.  From my reading, they don't maintain viability long at all, maybe a year at best.  I planted fresh seeds for those.  I found an old packet of dwarf carnation seeds dated 2014.  I don't recall ever growing them.  Eight years is a big stretch, but if I don't plant them, I won't know.  So I planted them too.



I also planted some Gloriosa Daisy seeds.  They are described as perennial Rudbeckia hirta, but some sources state that early planting can give same - year flowers.  Growing perennials from seeds can be very rewarding.  All of the mystery is taken out.  It shows one doesn't have to buy a potted plant for ten bucks, a three dollar seed packet will produce an entire row.   There is a sense if accomplishment, "I did that'" instead of "I bought it".  Even more if the seeds are home saved, but you have to start somewhere.

Of the peppers I planted earlier, only the JalapeƱos and Serranos have germinated so far.  I'm trying a new packet of Thai Dragon, plus a planting with more Tabasco pepper seeds.  And a Hontaka Cayenne from the Chili Pepper Institute at the University of New Mexico.  I also decided to play with miniature tomato varieties, Micro Tom Tomato and  Red Robin Tomato  The plants grow the size of small pepper plants.  If they grow, I can see how they do under LEDs.  And last, starting some wild-type Coreopsis for the "will the damn deer eat them?" flower bed. I haven't planted a couple varieties in the photo, yet.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment