Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Testing Bean Seeds For Viability. 1.18.22

 I was sorting old seed packets and found this one.  I don't know how old it is.  Five years?  Two?  Ten?  I don't recall ever harvesting this variety.  The packet was opened so I must have planted some.  It's a mystery, sort of like where did they bury Jimmy Hoffa.


I looked these up. They are a yellow pod Roma type bean. Why would I buy that? Well, there are the seeds. I decided to test them for viability. If they don't grow, the whole packet becomes chicken feed. If they do, I can eat the sprouts and, when it's warm and the air is perfumed by apple blossoms, I can plant the remaining seeds in the kitchen garden. Or maybe when the air is perfumed by rose blossoms. Apples might be too early. Count out 15 beans. Place them on a wet paper towel and fold it over twice.

Place them into a generic zipper sandwich bag, then onto the seed starting mat.
Now I can sit back and watch them grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment