Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Starting More Seeds. Peppers, A Few Flowers, and More. 1.11.22

It's not necessary to start them this early, but at least the onions benefit from the head start. I think the Rudbeckias will too, and most of these can be planted outside before last frost date (onions, kale, maybe rudbeckias). I like to start peppers early because they grow so slowly in my garden, and to get an earlier and larger crop. They can be grown inside under LEDs for quite a while, until ready.   Plus some if these seeds are several years old. They might not grow. Starting now gives me a chance to try again if needed.
It's been quite a few years since I grew Tabascos or Thai peppers. They will be fun to try in their new raised bed. Serranos and JalapeƱos always do well for me. Serranno plants are larger, so need more space. They are also more productive in my growth conditions.  The only new pepper seeds for this year are those from the Chili Pepper Institute in New Mexico, and Serranos from Victory seeds, which are all open pollinated so I can save seeds from now on. Depending on the plant and how things go, I would like to overwinter a couple next fall, which would mean an earlier start and more peppers per bush. The chili pepper raised bed has room for about a dozen plants, so I intend to start a few more in a month.  The seed starting mats will have spaces again by then.
Maybe a card file, well used, would be a better way to keep track of stored seeds and how the varieties do. I think I depend too much on tech. I'll work on it. These are 5 x 8 cards. Printing them out, they are more legible and compact than if I hand write on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment