Tuesday, May 04, 2021

Quilt Updates. 5.4.21

 These are the two quilts that I am working on.

First, the disappearing nine patch.  All of the nine patches are sewn and pressed.  I also cut the first 1/3 into quarters.

This is one of the nine patches, cut into quarters.

These can be turned in any direction, or mixed with squares from other nine patches before sewing into the quilting blocks.  This is one way.

Combining four of those, it looks like this.

I'm not crazy about how those come together.  I think a less overpowering and more playful look happens if they are mixed together, so this is an example using those same four patches.


I like that a lot more.  It is still open for other colors to be mixed in.  I need a quiet time when I can arrange them on a larger surface - the floor - and no doggie romping around.  That will have to be in an early morning.  Then I can photograph the result so I know which patches to sew together, how.

Then there is the brick sidewalk quilt.  I arranged a few rows of the "bricks" to see how I like them.


I like how this comes together.  I'll use the photo to sew together the rows.  The bolder pattern may need a little more arranging.  I'm not sure that anyone would recognize this as being made from men's shirts.  Some quilters like to emphasize the repurposed aspect, by including pockets or buttons in their quilts.  For this quilt, I just want to concentrate on the fabrics and patterns.

I may need to make it a row narrower, so that I can make it a couple of rows longer.  I need to re-count the bricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment