Wednesday, May 05, 2021

Squash and Cucumber Seedlings. 5.5.2011

 About 2/3 of the squashes have germinated.  All of the pots of zucchinis, yellow summer squash, red Kuri squash have one to three seedlings now.  The only ones that don't are Pink Banana squash and one of the Galeux d'Eysines pumpkin.  I sat them out in the sun today, it was 80F.  


I read it can take a few weeks for some squash seeds to germinate.  I have sentimental attachment to Pink Banana, as well as it's a productive and delicious squash.  It won't kill me if there is none this year, but I would like if there were some.  There are still two options - either germinate other seeds from the 2018 packet, or grow the seeds that I saved even though I don't know if the pollen parent was Pink Banana.  It could have been Kabucha, Red Kuri, or Galeux.  So I started a pot of the saved seeds, plus soaked the old 2018 seeds in water and now those are all in a moist paper towel in a plastic wrap covered bowl.  Time will tell.  

The first to germinate were the Illinois Squash, which is a very good squash too.  There are a bunch of Red Kuri seedlings.  That was a favorite this winter, so bravo!  

If these seeds that I saved from Pink Banana are hybrids, that will be interesting.  I's still rather they be the real thing.


On to cucumbers, it's only been a couple of days but the first to germinate is, the saved seeds from last year!  That's interesting.  Again, I don't know if they were from a hybrid or open pollinated variety.  I'll grow them out and see. 

All of this uncertainty.  2020 was just plain awful.  Anyone who got out alive and reasonable well, did OK I guess.

The other cukes still have a chance to germinate too.  There will be choices  and, if 2021 is better, some pickles.

Here are the little "unknown bush pickle" seedlings.  Barely breaking the surface, but clearly alive.



No comments:

Post a Comment