Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Pumpkin Update. 5.25.2021

 These are Galeux d'Eysines pumpkins that I started from old seeds, earlier.  They are planted in the black plastic covered area, with openings cut and soil dug and mixed with home made compost and some "Dr Earth" vegetable fertilizer.  I thinned one hill to two plants, and the other to three plants, to see if that makes a difference.  Slugs have been out, so I added organic slug pellets.


So far, so good.  I'm raising these both for the pumpkins this year, and seeds for future years.  Also the rest of the seeds are tasty and healthy snacks.  This is my favorite pumpkin for cooking and looking.

Of the others planted at the same time, all are similar size now:  Red Kuri, Fordhook Zucchini, and Illinois Squash.  I think the Gete Okosomin squash plants are also about the same size now but I don't gave a photo yet.  By the way, internet stories about Gete Okosomin Squash being resurrected from 600 year old seeds appear fake.  The more reliable appearing stories seem to be those that report these as having been raised through many generations by Native American families and communities.  Both stories are great, but I prefer to know the truth. If possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment