Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Potato Update: Clancy Potatoes from True Potato Seeds. 5.25.2021

 These are the two rows of Clancy potatoes that I started from seeds during the mid winter.  I planted the young plants in trenches, similar to how I plant potato tubers.  Some are big enough to fill in the trenches now, and some are not.  A few plants somehow disappeared.  I don't know how that happened.

The two plants furthest to the right, second row back, are Envoi potatoes that were extra, planted in April. They have already outgrown the Clancy.  So far, the Burbank Russet potatoes are still much smaller than most of the Clancy, so these seem sort of intermediate to a bit slower or smaller than most, but not all, of the potatoes grown from seed potatoes.  Russets are a late variety, Envoi is the earliest variety.

The Clancy instructions called for hilling up, rather than trench method, but this is what works best for me for other types.


Time will tell.  Mostly, I'm pretty happy with this experiment.I'll be happier when I can fill in the rest of the trenches.  Easier hoeing and other management.

No comments:

Post a Comment