Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Planting Some New Ponca Thornless Blackberries. 5.12.2021

 I bought some "Ponca" blackberries via mail order.  They were shipped from Arkansas.  This variety is described as the next best thing since sliced bread - the sweetest, most flavorful of its type, short internodes so much shorter "trees" than other types, early.   I know, every new introduction is described as incredible, then after a few years one never reads about it again.  This one sounded good and here is little lost by trying it.

The plants do not look happy about their treatment, storage, digging, and shipping.  I hope that at least one survives, maybe two.  Three is possible but it seems like a lot to hope for.





Two plants went into temporary locations.  I want to identify a couple in my Blackberry bed and possibly remove two, opening up locations for Ponca.  The best looking one went into a prime spot in the newer blackberry bed.  I soaked them an hour before planting, gave them good soil with a little Osmokote, mulched with dry leaves, watered well, and shaded the tender pale new growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment