Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Tasmanian Alpine Yellow Gum (Eucalyptus subcrenulata) Update. 5.25.2021.

 I think I planted this Eucalyptus subcrenulata in late 2018.  It replaced an American Linden that died of unknown cause.  This was a small potted tree, about a foot tall.  Now I can't reach the top, about 9 feet tall.  E. subcrenulata is considered among the more cold hardy Eucalyptus, originating in Tasmania.  The young leaves have a eucalyptus fragrance when crushed, but the older leaves have a sort of a mysterious curry type fragrance.   Deer have not touched it.  The leaves are tough.   I don't water this tree at all.  I do have a deer fence to protect from buck antler scratching, which can destroy a young tree.

The bark of older trees is described as having streaks of yellow.  It looks like the young tree has colorful red bark.








No comments:

Post a Comment