Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Oriental Poppy Grown From Dormant Summer Root Cutting. 5.25.2021

 Last summer, I dug out root cuttings from a red oriental poppy that I grew in Vancouver.  I waited for the leaves to go dormant, crinkly brown, which they do in mid summer.  Then I dug out as much as I could, basically a foot long root.  The main root goes much deeper, and that plant grows back from the deeper root.  The dry, brown roots look like dead sticks.  I planted them around my Battleground vegetable garden.  Every cutting grew and bloomed.  Over a few years, they make a nice clump.

This is a nice way to get free starts of this beautiful oriental poppy, if you know someone who has a few plants.  It's much nicer than buying a potted plant from that orange home improvement store.






No comments:

Post a Comment