Friday, March 12, 2021

Apple Seedings. 3.12.2021

 It's interesting comparing the seedlings.  All three are from the apple that resulted from Redlove Calypso X Golden Sentinel.  (I think the nomenclature is seed parent X pollen parent.  In this case, Calypso was the seed parent).  

Seedling #1.  First to germinate.  Leaves with quite a lot of red coloration.  By far the tallest so far.


Seedling #2.  Second to germinate.  Almost as tall as Seedling #1.  Leaves mostly green but with red veins and stem.


Seedling #3.  Quite a bit behind the other two in germinating.  Almost as red as Seedling #1.  Interstems seem much shorter.  Is that because there is more sun now, compared to when Seedling #1 germinated?  Or, is that because Seedling #3 has naturally shorter internodes, as expected for a columnar growth habit?



It's interesting to speculate.  #1 might be taller because of a lighting issue when it started growing beyond the cotyledons.  Being later, #3 may not have had that problem.   In the future, for brevity, I'll refer to these as CalGo#1, CalGo#2, CalGo#3.  These have grown 4 internodes in their first month.  They will be pampered and coddled.  If they can do that for the next 6 months, they could be 24 internodes, which might be enough to know.  If they get some momentum and speed up, maybe they could get up to a graftable size by the end of the year. Wishful thinking.

I'd like to try some more crosses this year, mainly the Redlove Era X a columnar. Era because I think it's sweeter but has as red flesh as Calypso.  Top choice for columnar would be North Pole, the largest apples, sweetest fruit so far among those in my yard, vs. TastyRed which has red skin, reportedly disease resistant, but I haven't tasted them yet.  Alternatively, aim for a sweeter red flesh using Jonagold, my sweetest apple (but is there a problem using a triploid?), Gravenstein (ditto), Beni Shogun Fuji (not doing that well for me and I haven't tasted one, but Fuji are quite sweet).  I probably can't grow them all out, but maybe make the crosses, first priority being red flesh X columnar, then whatever I want to try, see what takes and what grows.  This will depend on multiple things, such as weather, blooming times, and me.


No comments:

Post a Comment