Friday, March 05, 2021

Getting a Bud-Grafted Peach Tree Start Ready for Spring. 03.05.2021

 This is the peach curl resistant peach that I grew from seed a number of years ago, progeny from Oregon Curl Free.  It's a good peach and on the seed grown tree there has never been significant leaf curl.  It's the most resistant tree that I have grown so far, out of many varieties marketed for disease resistance.  I labeled this peach "Sunny Day" so that I would have something to call it.

Last Spring I tried to whip/tongue graft scion onto Lovell rootstock, didn't take.  So I bud grafted onto the same rootstocks during the summer.  They took, but one was lost in hot weather.  That left this one.

It's tiny, but I think the bud is still alive.  It's a little greener in person than in this photo.   I pruned off the rest of the baby tree, above the bud.  Now it must grow from this bud or not at all.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment