Monday, March 08, 2021

Uncovering Genetic Dwarf Peach Trees for Spring. 03.08.21

 These are more appropriately called "Peach Shrubs" than trees, they are so small.  Small shrubs at that.  I covered them for the winter, using upturned trash cans.  Today I thought, "I wonder what's going on under there".  It turned out, one is already blooming and the other is growing, both very very pale from no sunshine.

I covered these for the winter to avoid issues with Peach Leaf Curl Disease, which makes inroads into the peach buds through the rainy fall and winter.  I don't know if that will be an issue with uncovering now.  There is still some rainy season ahead.  With these so pale, it's possible the sun will damage them.  I decided to just go with the flow and see what happens.

 If I remember correctly, the blooming one is called "Garden Gold" and the nonblooming one is called "El Dorado".  That second one was far smaller when I planted it last year .  I pruned off the moldy looking branches.




No comments:

Post a Comment