Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Planting Onion Seedling. Garlic. 3.17.2020

Today I planted out the rest of the onion seedlings.  I started these seedlings in January.  Onions will survive a little frost or chilly weather.  Planting them out now will get them established before the warm weather starts.   My seed starting book gives a date of March 20th so we are almost there.  It has been very nice outside, in the 60s today.  Lows in 40s.

I needed some extra space, so some went into an area that I was not planning to plant this year.  But that's OK.  That brick circle also contains some rescued garlic, a rescued sprouted onion (for potential seeds), and other alliums.  A kind of hodge podge.

I planted a row of the onion seedlings in what has turned out to the the onion / shallot / rescued garlic raised bed.  This year I can compare Spanish onions with NY Hybrid and with onion sets that I planted in January?.  The main reason to hope the Spanish onions are good, is that they are non hybrid and I can use them to save seeds.

  This is the garlic raised bed.  Most of those on the left were ones that I saved last year.  They look mush larger and sturdier than the ones on the right, which had sprouted on the old rows or raised bed.  I think those are German or Spanish Garlic.  Not bad, but the Music Garlic has larger cloves and I think they have more flavor.  Hard to see here, but there is a row of garlic bulbils for next year, growing nicely.  A second row is less vigorous.  I don't know why.



No comments:

Post a Comment