Friday, September 25, 2020

The Last Batches of Sauce Tomatoes And Better Boys. 25 Sept 2020.

 Yesterday I harvested the rest of the Ranger sauce tomatoes and the Better Boy slicing tomatoes.  I left the Bodaceous and cherry tomatoes on the plant for today.  It's raining, so there is done splitting.

Even though some catalogs claim that determinates, like these sauce tomatoes, don't need staking, the plants really did much better in cage support structures.  Back burner project for this winter, make some better cages.  Two plants fell over and were touching the ground.  Those plants were much more worse for the wear, with badly damaged tomatoes and rotting leaves.  Even so, with the plants looking as bad as they did, the crop was very nice.  I have enough for some more cooking up into whatever I want for another week or so.  The round ones with the sauce tomatoes are Early Girl Bush.  Those were good for slicing too.

There are also enough Better Boy for a couple of weeks if they keep that long.

I also picked Jalapenos.  The plants remain healthy looking and vigorous.  I should let a couple of them ripen and save the seeds.  This was a good variety and I forget which one it is.  

With this year being one bad news after another, I did not know if these crops would make it to the result.  Growing them is more about the doing than the getting.  Yet here they are, lots of beautiful and delicious, nutritious garden grown vegetables.   It's very good for the soul.



No comments:

Post a Comment