Wednesday, September 02, 2020

Sauce Tomatoes. 9.2.2020

 This spring I started a batch of Ranger sauce tomato seeds for tomato sauce.  I think those are the best ones for my garden and climate, no blossom end rot or other diseases, and they are highly productive, and delicious.  However, the postage and handling from Territorial Seeds was something like $7, when they could have just been put into an envelope and mailed for under a dollar.  And it was only something like a dozen seeds. in the packet.  I'm going by memory, but it was something like that.  So, I"m not sure what I will do for next year. Traditional Romas and Marzettas are great but i lose about 1/2 to blossom end rot.  Maybe just pay it and gripe about the gouging.

I love these going from seed to sauce.  This is the best of slow food.  Mostly, they ripen over about two or three weeks.   This was the first batch, enough for 20 packages of frozen, finished sauce, 1 cup per package.

This is about 3/5ths of the harvest.

I wash the tomatoes, then cut them hem into quarters, filling the cooking pots.

Then I cook on the lowest possible setting, stirring every 10 min or so for the first 30 min, until the tomatoes sort of melt and release juice, then stir about every 20 min.  These simmer for about 2 hours, lowest heat setting, lid ajar to release liquid, until the volume is 1/2 of what it was when they first liquified.

Then I let the sauce cool, to just a little warm.  I ladle it into the food processor, and process so there are no significant pieces of skin.  I do that instead of skinning them because I think the skin is important for nutrition, and is removed commercially due to texture.  By processing them,  there is no detectable effect of skin on texture.  Also, mine are organic, raised in my own garden with no chemicals, so there is no residue to remove.

I portion 1 cup into each freezer zipper bag, and freeze them flat for space considerations. 

I add other ingredients when cooking, for spaghetti sauce, or pizza sauce, or chili.  For spaghetti or pizza sauce, it's usually 1/2 tsp salt. 1 tsp Italian spice, 1 tsp minced garlic, some pepper, and add oregano when it's cooked.

I usually aim for one pizza or pasta a week - usually it's the pizza.  So, I like to make 52 bags to freeze.  This time was 25 bags.  I think there could be enough on the plants still green or ripening for about 20 more if I'm lucky.  That's OK.  I grew 9 plants this time, not wanting to over-do it and wind up with waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment