Saturday, September 19, 2020

Corn (Maize). From Seikei Zusetsu, Japan, 1804

 Seikei Zusetsu is a book containing agricultural woodcuts from early 1804 and created in Japan in 1793 by unknown artists in Japan.  This image is from wikimedia commons.  I edited this image slightly, cropping for a narrower page border to emphasize the image better.  I find these images very compelling, combining some things I love to look at - Japanese art, 19th century book engravings (technically these were end of 18th century), botanical art, and history of agriculture and horticulture.  This is an image of corn, a crop originally developed in Mesoamerica (I guess millennia before Maya, let alone Aztec empires),  and spread around the rest of the world as part of the post-Columbian exchange.   I chose this image because now is corn harvesting time.




No comments:

Post a Comment