Wednesday, September 23, 2020

First Crop from Garden Gold Miniature Peach Tree.

 I planted this peach tree last winter.  I also planted an El Dorado peach tree, which was smaller and did not have any fruits.  The word "tree" is used advisedly - it's only about 3 feet tall, if that.  There was prolific bloom, typical for genetic dwarf peaches.  I allowed about one dozen to stay on the tree.  I want it to stay small.  Growth was really quite good, and the peaches just ripened.  

Garden Gold Peaches.


These are free stone peaches.  The flavor was excellent.  A tree ripened peach is so much better than anything you can buy.

Next comes the challenge.  I'll need to come up with a good cover for the winter.  Genetic Dwarf peaches are highly susceptible to peach leaf curl disease in the Pacific Northwest.  That disease is carried into the buds by rain, starting about November.  So, the tree will need spraying or covering, or both, come November.  I think this year a clear plastic cover will suffice, because the trees are so small.

I will keep the trees at a miniature size.  My goal is something like a tomato plant in size and garden footprint, but a tree instead of an annual vine.   I'll be happy if there are 2 dozen peaches a year.

I had a Garden Gold peach tree in my old Vancouver yard for quite a few years.  I let the size become too big to readily cover, didn't get around to covering it, and it had severe Peach Leaf Curl, killing a lot of the branches.  That cover is very important.  Keeping it small is also important, if you want to be able to cover it.

I also had an El Dorado ganetic dwarf peach tree too.  I kept it in a container.  I moved the container out of the rain for the winter.  That worked very well, but it needed watering two or three times a day on hot summer days.  I think this method that I am trying now will be more workable.

No comments:

Post a Comment