Friday, September 25, 2020

Making some sourdough bread. 9.25.2020

 Today I made some sourdough bread.  I made two loaves - one a standard white bread, and the other a 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 white flour with added sesame seeds, millet, poppy seeds, flax seeds, and sunflower seeds.  It's about a teaspoon of each type, but a tablespoon of the sunflower seeds.

I made buns from the white bread, instead of a bread loaf.  I used a cast iron muffin pan, which makes buns about the size of an English muffin.  There was some dough extra, so I used short, wide canning jars to make some additional buns. 

For sourdough starter, two weeks ago I decided to start a new "mother" batch.  I combined 1 tbsp four (organic, unbleached) with 1 tbsp water (well water, not chlorinated).  I used a 1 pint canning jar, let it sit a day, stirred in another tbsp each of water and flour.  I repeated that process for a week, then removed half of the mixture and mixed in 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup water.  After letting that sit overnight, I used 2 tablespoons for a starter, and poured the mixture into a quart jar containing 1 cup of water and 1 cup of flour.  That jar is now the "mother", which I keep in the fridge, use every few days for starter, and replenish with equal parts water and flour about once every two weeks, letting it ferment until frothy before putting back into the fridge.  This starter has a nice buttermilk flavor, and the bread comes out really nice.

These were baked at 375 F.  The items in glass needed 45 minutes.  The buns in cast iron needed 30 minutes.

These were quite good.  I think the white sourdough buns would be nice for a quick garlic bread.  I buttered one, and made a small sandwich with another.

The wheat and seeds bread was also very tasty, especially toasted and buttered.

No comments:

Post a Comment