Sunday, September 06, 2020

Next Quilting Project. 9.6.2020

I made some curtains for the kitchen and did some clothing repairs. I have the fabic to make a shirt - a dark batik. However, now I think I want to start a quilt. It will be raibow colors, mixed with beach colors (blues and sandy browns), in triangles. First, sewing together the stripes that will be cut into triangles once done. I arranged the strips into the approximate pattern that I want, then rolled them up so they won't get mixed up again.

 I'm not sure that I like buying the pre-selected bundles of strips ("jelly rolls"), sight - unseen. You get what they send. You have to make something that will utilize those strips, since they are already cut 2 1/2 inches wide by (I think) 44 inches long.  I have not calculated the price per yard, but I have a nagging feeling they cost more than buying by the yard.  The advantage is that you get lots of colors and patterns, so maybe don't have to buy as much.

I don't know what this method is called.  It starts with sewing together 10 strips, in the desired order, to make larger squares.  Then trim the squares, pair them facing together at 90 degree angle, sew them together, then cut at 45 degree angles to make 4 new squares, each consisting of two color combinations.  I'll show as I go, which will be slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment