Wednesday, April 24, 2019

More Apple Bloom Times. 4.24.19

Liberty Apple on M27 Rootstock.  4.24.19
Most of the apples are blooming now.  I think we are in early to mid blooming season.  Since these are all in bloom, there should be good pollination this year.  I'm not seeing many bees.  Maybe small pollinators can help, within the multigraft trees.

I have Jonagold on M27, a dwarf tree, and on a multigraft.  Last year, the Jonagold on M27 bore very heavily, and this year there are no flowers.  The Jonagold on the multigraft is blooming for the first time, so I should get some fruit on that one.

Golden Sentinel, which I like, is not blooming.  Nor surprising, I pruned it significantly when I moved it to this location on 10.6.18.  There was major root loss and major loss of tree.  I'm surprised it survived.  There is also significant deer damage to the trunk, from the prior location.  Still, this tree is a trooper, is growing, and maybe next year will be up to bearing again.

This is the first significant bloom for Winecrisp, and the first bloom for Milo Gibson, King David (not pictured).

I think there should be a good apple crop this year, with some interesting heritage varieties, new varieties, novel ones and mainstream.


Airlie Redflesh Blossom.  4.24.19

Northpole, 2nd leaf after moving.  4.24.19

Winecrisp Apple Blossom.  4.24.19

Jonagold Apple Blossom.  4.24.19

Baldwin Apple Blossom.  4.24.19

Not Blooming.  Golden Sentinel, 1st leaf after moving.  4.24.19

Sutton Beauty.  4.24.19

Baldwin Apple Blossom.  4.24.19

Milo Gibson Apple Blossom.  4.24.19


Jonagold Apple Blossom.  4.24.19

No comments:

Post a Comment