Monday, April 29, 2019

Iris germanica. First iris this Spring. 4.29.19

Iris germanica.  4.29.19
This is the first of the irises to bloom this year.  Most skipped a couple of years because I gave up on them. Then I developed new enthusiasm and have been giving them more attention.

Most of the labels were lost when I moved the clumps from raised beds to the edge of the woodlot. I am pretty sire this is Iris germanica.  The only other blue to purple irises that I have in this size range, historic irises, are Eleanor Roosevelt (more purple and more uniformly colored) and Monsignor (the falls are very dark center with more pale edges, usually with distinctive veins in the falls).   Caprice is more of a pinkish lavender and has distinctive grape fragrance.  These have a more typical, although faint, iris fragrance.

This is among the healthiest clumps growing at the edge of the woodlot.

I will relabel them.  If I new evidence suggests a different ID, I can change it.

Meanwhile, this is a very nice part of Spring.

2 comments:

  1. Looking good, Daniel. My iris hasn't bloomed yet, but my tulips are gorgeous this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy, I bet your irises will be blooming soon. My family used to grow them to take to cemetery for memorial day.

    We cant grow tulips. Deer eat them! Hope you enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete