Monday, April 01, 2019

Big Box Store Dahlia Tubers. 4.1.19


Starting Some Dahlia Tubers Early.  4.1.19
These are packages of dahlia tubers that I bought earler this winter and stored until now.  I hesitate to describe them, lest I be shown to be gullible, but here we are.  Those little boxes with "1" on the label?  Basically you are buying a pretty picture.  The tubers were dead looking, most hanging on to the central stem by fibers, not a living connection.  As I understand it, most of the time, the living bud is on the stem, or near it.  The "Joy of Gardening" tuber was almost as bad.  The multipack "Joy of Gardening" dahlia multi-package did contain some that looked OK.  Maybe most of them.  But in most of these cases, the consumer is buying a pretty picture.

My goal here is to get them started  growing.  If they do break dormancy and plants grow, I'll either plant them in the garden or in containers.   I trimmed off the tubers that were hanging on by fibers but no apparent living connection.  Then I planted them  in potting soil, covering the tubers but not deeply.  I'll keep them in a warm place until the start growing.  I think most of them still have a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment