Tuesday, April 02, 2019

Figs. 4.2.19

My Main Row Of Fig Trees.  4.2.19

Carini Fig Breaking Dormancy.  4.2.19
 Today I finished removing the last of the terracing that I put in a few years ago for the fig trees.  I think the idea had potential, but in the end it did not work so well.

These fig trees are on a hill, so I thought the terracing would help the ground hold water.  However, with the grass and fig trees, that isn't needed.  Meanwhile, mowing was difficult because the grass hid the the stones and blocks I used to terrace the soil, and I could not just walk up the row of trees with the lawn mower.

So I have been removing the terrace stones and bricks over the past year  I had some fill soil removed from decommissioned raised beds, so I spread that on the uneven areas, and broadcast grass seed there.  Now, the last of the re-contouring is done.  It will be easier to mow in the future, easier maintenance, less likely to trip on the terrace stones and uneven grade.

Meanwhile, the fig trees are coming out of dormancy.  Celeste seems to be earliest.  That tree is still young, and I have not yet tasted a Celeste fig.  The others are not far behind.

I have yellow jacket traps out now, too, to catch the queens before they build nests and start colonies.  So far, none are in the traps.

   
Petite negri Fig Breaking Dormancy.  4.2.19
Celeste Fig Breaking Dormancy.  4.2.19
1

No comments:

Post a Comment