Tuesday, November 02, 2021

Work on A Newer, Taller, Bigger Raised Bed. 11.2.2021

I have two big raised beds to build. These are two feet tall, compared to the last ones that were 18 inches. The taller size is much easier for me to work with hand tools, keep cleaner, mulch, thin, harvest. This is all about easier, more accessible gardening so I can continue doing it for more years to come. After pricing various wood and metal options, these cement blocks turned out to be the most economical option, by far. Plus, I think they will last for the rest of my life. I've used this kind of block in the past, and was happy with them. For the base, I'm using two barriers. Some wire fencing, and plastic chicken wire. These are what I had around from old garden fences. I hope they keep moles from digging up into the beds. I'm also adding barrier to the pathways because moles tend to undermine blocks at the sides of raised beds. This will need some touching up, and if I'm lucky the moles will travel further so they don't damage my work so much.
These are longer than my previous garden beds, deeper, and wider. I tried making them even more wider, but could not easily reach the middle. The idea is to make it easier for me, so I narrowed the bed slightly. I can reach the center of this bed, barely. Good enough to use a small hand hoe, and do the various maintenance tasks. The capstones are reused X 3 or X 4 times. In their last life, they were edging. Before that, Capstones. Before that, a large patio and walkway. They give a nice, aged, finished look and not as stark as the bare cement blocks, I think. Plus capping the cement blocks creates an air pocket to insulate the soil a bit, and keeps weeds out of the holes. This construction project is a bit much for me now. I can carry and install about ten blocks in a day. Twenty if I push myself really hard. Then I regret it. The hardest part is getting them level, even, and plumb, which takes multiple tries on the soil base. There's no hurry - They are about 90 blocks, so if I average 15 a day, then it's only 6 days. 

 This one is done until the soil comes. I'm leaving the end open so I can wheel in the soil with a wheelbarrow, then finish the end and add the last amount of soil using a bucket. I do want these done before Winter really sets in, so the soil can settle in and mellow with the compost that I will mix into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment