Wednesday, November 10, 2021

New Raised Bed #1 is Done. 11.10.2021

This one is completely done. I topped it off with some well aged compost, then a layer of good raised bed soil from the one I'm digging out. I also planted a few dozen topsets from Egyptian Walking Onions at the ends. Still thinking about whether to plant a cover crop on the rest, or just a thick layer of leaves.
I cut the wire fencing and plastic fencing to use as mole deterrents for the bottom of new raised bed #2, and moved some blocks nearby. When these, and the rebuilt smaller bed with wooden sides are done, I really don't want to do more big garden construction projects after this. The entire idea is to reduce heavy work. Meanwhile,the hardest part is to level the soil for the blocks, and lay the blocks kevel and plumb. After the base rows are in place, it goes better. Maybe ten more days? Also thinking about pathways between raised beds. This year, moles did a lot of damage, undermining sides and corners of beds and burying the woodchips with soil. Plus, I got behind pulling perennial volunteers - mainly four o'clocks and potatoes - and it became a challenge to access those garden beds. I'm thinking laying down wire fencing in the walkways, top with black plastic, then I don't know. Wood chips? Gravel? Depends on how I think moles will affect this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment