Saturday, April 24, 2021

Quilting Update. 4.24.2021

 I have been working on the disappearing nine patch quilt that I started in late March.   Since that post, I starched and ironed the fabric for stiffening and stability.  I learned that makes the fabric easier to work with, and with more precision.  The I cut the chambray and the batik fat quarters into squares, 5 inches by 5 inches.  I also cut batik fabric that is slate on black, the same size.  I am thinking this quilt will need about 49 large squares, but I will re-count when I'm closer to sewing them together.  There is enough fabric for three 9-patch squares of each color or pattern.

Today I completed sewing together all of the strips of three's.  Those get made into 9-patches by combining three strips.  This can all be whatever pattern or colors are wanted, or completely random.  But I have a pattern in mind (see previous post, linked).  Currently, I have 1/3 of the nine-patches made, and the rest are strips of three.

When the rest of the nine patches are done, they get cut into quarters, a slice down the middle vertically and a slice across the middle horizontally.  Then I rearrange them to see what I like.

Meanwhile, here is the start of the men's shirt quilt.  I want a quilt for my office where Rufus can lie on the bed and the quilt can withstand more washings than usual.  The men's shirts are noticeably heavier, higher quality fabric.  I raided my closet for some, and found some at thrift stores.  Total cost about $15, whereas the same amount bought new at a fabric store would be several times that.  I like the look and feel of these.  Combining the shirts for the quilt blocks and one shirt for the border, this quilt uses 8 shirts with a lot left over for other projects.  

To process the shirts, I wash and dry hot to pre-shrink them, although they have probably been through that before.   They get heavy starch, the I press briefly.  I cut through the seams.  Then I cut the shapes that I want, in this case 5 inch by 10 inch rectangles.  Later, if I want something finer, I could cut them down to 5 inch squares as in the 9-patch quilt, or something different.  depending on the size and cut of the shirt, that's barely enough blocks for some shirts, and lots of extras for others.

This quilt will be sort of like a brick street or brick wall, in shades of blue, white, grey, slate.  It's a simpler pattern than I've been making, with more muted colors.  I've seen others with similar design on the internet, although have not found a pattern for them so am making my own.

I've been looking for fabric for the backing.  If I can't find anything I like, I may do something similar but different pattern, for a reversible quilt.

These will need a few months to complete.  I enjoy sewing them very much, but the time at the sewing machine can make my back too painful.  So I have to pace myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment