Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Transplanting and Unintended Forsythia Cutting. 4.27.2021

 I'm growing a forsythia hedge along the fence.  On the other side is a gravel road built on an easement.  Since that was done, there is an unwanted view of ugly property as well as loss of property on my side.  I thought about buying Leyland Cypress, but they are evergreen, so I have concerns about flammability.  Plus Leyland Cypress grow so huge, which I'd rather not.  There are other choices, but Forsythia is fast growing, grows a thick hedge, pretty flowers in Spring.  Starting from cuttings and small bushes is a bit slower but better than nothing and cheap.

To plant the hedge, I probably need about 10 or so.  On the sides of  the gate, I also planted lilac starts.   I found two small Forsythias two weeks ago at Tsugawa, $11 each.  I have trimmings in water to start.  Low effort, not sure they will grow and I doubt it.  I can try some cuttings with rooting hormone as well.  Finally, I have two starts that I started to air layer on the original bush, yesterday.  This will probably root.  I left another stem for the same purpose to try today.

Meanwhile, while trimming the original Forsythia, I noticed this small bush growing next to the larger one.  Doubtless, it was a pruning that was dropped and took root.  I dug it up and planted in the hedge space.  Given how dry and hard the soil where it was, and the thick grass, now it's in a lot better condition and should take off and grow nicely.





No comments:

Post a Comment