Tuesday, April 06, 2021

Planting the First of the Seedling Potatoes Outside. 4.6.2021

The "True Botanical Potato Seed" Clancy Potato seedlings are looking large enough to plant outside.   Plus, some of the potatoes that I planted a month or so ago are growing.  Those are tolerating the chilly nights just fine, and have stout stems with dark green leaves.  The Clancy seedlings are more delicate. Maybe by planting them outside, they will toughen up.  I have been leaving the seedlings outside all through the sunny part of the day to acclimate them.

I chose the same trench planting as with using cut up potato tubers.  The difference is those get buried and don't need immediate watering.  For the seedlings, I planted so the leaves are all above ground and then watered them.  I did give them some Osmocote.

Some of these are near where a raised bed was last year.  The edge of that got some Roundup.  I imagine that is all long dissipated and degraded now, but it's something to keep in mind if those don't grow.  Dumb on my part to use that, but there was too much on my plate last year to be as organic as I prefer to be.  Only a few would be expected to be affected, and I think more probably, none.


No comments:

Post a Comment