Monday, October 09, 2023

Pawpaws and Chestnuts. 9 Oct 2023.

 The chestnut trees are making some nice nuts now.  I planted the trees about six years ago,  They are grafted varieties, hybrids of Japanese with European species.  They are disease resistant, and can pollinate each other.

The pawpaws surprised me by making a nice crop.  I did hand-pollinate them.  All of the grafted tops died off, and now they are multi-trunked trees of the rootstocks.  I put protective mesh bags on the fruits this summer, and thinned them to a few per bunch.




The pawpaws have a nice flavor, mild, sort of like mango.  The texture is like avocado.They are nicecto have as a treat.

The chestnuts are starchy, like potato.  Roasted in the air fryer with some oil and salt, they remind me a bit of French Fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment