Monday, October 09, 2023

Completed Tropical Shirt Quilt, with Flannel Backing. 9 Oct 2023

 Here's the completed tropical shirt quilt.  I'm pretty happy with the result.





The backing is cotton flannel.  I found a good quality, unused flannel fitted queen size sheet at the thrift store, for $6.  It seemed thicker than flannel fabric at the fabric store, softer, and I was able to use one large piece instead of piecing narrower ones together.  After starching, cutting off the elastic and seamed parts, it was large enough for this quilt and a little left over.

I think the starch helped a lot.  It was fairy stiff and didn't stretch and deform while sewing.  On the other hand, my newer Brother sewing machine didn't work for this quilt - the tension settings were either too much or too little, and it skipped stitches.  I tried denim needle and titanium quilting needle.  I switched to the old Kenmore machine, added the titanium quilting needle and walking foot, and it went very smooth and fast.  Also, no bunching up of backing, no creases or pleats.  

After washing with an extra rinse to get out all of the starch, and drying to fluff up the batting and flannel, this quilt is very warm and comfortable.  

Since the pattern was much simpler, and I did not have to piece the backing, this quilt came together much faster than most.   Plus, instead of taping each line to quilt, I mostly used the guide on the walking foot - set at two inches - the quilting went a lot faster too, with fewer challenges.


No comments:

Post a Comment