Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Tropical Shirt Quilt. The Top is Completed. 19 Sept 2023

 Here's the completed quilt top.


I'm actually kind of pleased with the result.

First I combined squares into pairs, and sewed those together.  I left out 2 of each type, for row ends.


The seams are ironed toward the darker square, so the nest when sewn to the next row.  The other seams were ironed open so they will be flat.


I questioned whether I left enough un-sewn, so I laid them all out on the sunroom floor.


Well, they were OK.  So I sewed together the pairs, building up to eight rows.



At this point, I'm ironing all seams toward the darker squares.  I'm also checking my photo of the layout that I liked, so I get it right.

Then U sewed together the rows, this time ironing the seams open.  Result is at the top.

Next step, batting is ordered on Amazon, USA grown and manufactured.  The Chinese imported is cheaper, but there's the slave labor issue, so I paid more for a US small company product.

Also, the flannel backing.  I'll starch, press, and sew that in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment