Monday, October 09, 2023

Nemagon Mustard Cover Crop. 9 Oct 2023

 Last week I harvested all of the green beans, and cut up all of the plants.  Then I added chopped marigold plants to the soil, covered by leaf mould from last fall.  




I should add, the rhizobium inoculant carried over from a bean crop, grown two years ago.  The roots all had nice nitrogen-fixing nodules.



This area will have tomatoes next year.  The soil level has dropped, so I added about three inches of soil from a fallow atea that has nit grown to atoes or potatoes for several years.  Then I sowed Nemagon mustard seeds, for green manure crop / winter groundcover / soil benefits for tomatoes. I watered them in, and in a week there are mustard seedlings germinating.


If I can, I'd like to do the same for the other tomato bed for this year.  So far, I'm half way through adding soil and sowing mustard seeds there.


No comments:

Post a Comment