Thursday, October 26, 2023

Nemagon Mustard Groundcover Update. 26 Oct 2023.

 Here's the first raised bed with growing Nemagone mustard.


So far, so good.  I don't know if they will grow through a hard freeze.  Time will tell.  They are reported to die with a 26°F  freeze.  If they don't survive, I'll just cover with leaves for weed prevention.

I'm growing the Nemagone as a sort of biofumigant.  Also here.  It's meant to reduce potential pest and disease load in the soil, as well as being a ground cover to reduce weed seed load, and a green manure crop to return nutrients and humus to the soil.  That's a lot to hope for. It also may not be necessary, since I don't bring in plants or soil from elsewhere (except tree leaves) and I rotate my crops.  But I don't think it hurts, and it might help.

I had these through the winter, two years ago.  They survived, and then grew very well in late winter / early Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment