Wednesday, October 06, 2021

Winter Shelter for Genetic Dwarf Peach Tree. 10.6.2021

I finished this a few days ago. Genetic dwarf peach trees should be ideal size for a senior gardener. They generally remain about four feet tall. I had one a few years ago that reached 5 feet tall in about 10 years. Genetic Dwarf peach trees bear somewhat smaller peaches, compared to "normal" peach trees, but they are full flavor, delicious genuine peaches. They bloom like crazy and bear like crazy for such small trees. The challenge is, winter rains in the Pacific NW bring severe fungal infections - debilitating, horrible, often fatal Peach Leaf Curl (PLC) disease. There are a few resistant or semi resistant full sized peach varieties, but all genetic dwarf varieties are highly susceptible. It's kind of heartbreaking, like peach tree leprosy. It's very frustrating, limits yield greatly, and damages the tree badly. Supposedly, antifungal sprays can help. I have a hard time getting it right with type of spray and timing. It does help if the tree can be protected from winter rain. I've tried growing them in containers, and moving the tree out of the rain in the fall, through winter and early spring. However, if th container isn't gigantic, it will dry out rapidly and require two or more waterings a day all summer long. Otherwise it dries out and stresses the tree. Also, it's way too top heavy. Mine kept falling over. I also tried tying up the branches into a bundle, and covering with garbage bag for the winter. That sort of works, but is a challenge. Last winter, I covered my two little, new, genetic dwarf peach trees with upturned garbage cans. That was somewhat successful, but I didn't realize when they were growing, they bloomed in the dark and didn't set any fruit. Plus, it was still raining so they were somewhat affected by PLC anyway. My original plan with these miniature trees in my accessible garden, was to build a permanent frame that I could install a plastic cover for the winter. I finally did that now. Since one is much larger than the other, it also has a larger shelter. I think this has a chance. The trees will need regular pruning. No problem there. I hope it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment