Sunday, October 24, 2021

A Reversable, Chino / Flannel Cadet Cap. 20.24.2021

 There were a few left over pieces of chino, after I made a grocery tote out of Ning's old trousers.  As posted before, I like wearing cadet caps.  Without that protection, I bump my head regularly, leaving divets and scabs on my scalp, which I don't like.  I use an old, disassembled cadet cap for the pattern. However, I add 1/4 inch to each dinension for better fit.  Chino fabric is perfect weight and comfort.  This time, I used scraps of flannel for a lining, quilted the top part for scalp padding, and made it reversable.

Laying out the remaining trouser parts and patterns.  Will it work?  Note, I didn't wind up making the unnecessary hat band.

 

This time, I added more stiffness to the brim, using medium weight fusable woven interfacing in addition to the thick foamy interfacing I usually use. For the lining, I used exactly the same pattern as the shell. It will shrink just a little, I think. The sides are stiffened a little too with a medium weight, nonwoven fusable interfacing.
Then the hat is sewn together inside out, with a big gap at the back. I had to hand baste the brim, which points inward at this point. It's too difficult to pin or clamp the stiff, awkward, thick three-part sections, but hand basting actually works. Then turn right side out and sew the rest together. I hand basted that together too.
The cap came out pretty decent. I think it's the best made of my attempts, so far. The chino fabric, with interfacing, is the perfect stiffness / warmth / comfort. The added interfacing makes the brim stiff enough to hold its shape, without being a herd piece of plastic. I like it better without the hat band. This brim came out better too. I used an edge hem to hold its shape, and drew the lines on the fabric before sewing, using a washable fabric pen. That helped a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment