Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Smith Fig. Hardy Chicago Fig. 10.2.18

Smith Fig.  10.2.18

Smith Fig.  10.2.18
 Even though I don't have much expectation regarding Smith Fig, I left the tree in that space.  This tree is better adapted for the hot, humid Louisiana climate, not the cooler Pacific NW.  Two winters ago, I thought it was dead.  But it came back.  Last winter was very mild.  This summer was longer and hotter than usual.  This tree grew significantly.  The brebas were plentiful but fell off when small.  Today I noticed some ripe figs.  The one on the left appears overripe, the one on the right about perfect.  Both had sublime flavor - the expected flavor for dark figs, rich, sweet, juicy.  Now I will be checking, daily, for more ripe figs.

The lower pictured figs are from Hardy Chicago.  Also called Chicago Hardy.  I started this tree from a cutting taken from my Hardy Chicago fig tree in Vancouver.  It's interesting.  These are smaller, darker, sweeter, and richer, than the ones in Vancouver.  The site is sunnier, dryer in summer, more exposed.  I don't know about the soil differences.  I'm very happy with these figs, too.
Hardy Chicago Figs.  10.2.18
Hardy Chicago Figs.  10.2.18

5 comments:

  1. Increase your chances of a better yield by pinching off the tiny, green growth tips starting in June once the branches get 5-leaves. Then, later in the season dab the blossom end with oil (e.g. olive) after it opens up a bit. Trim back unproductive branches to let air/sun shine through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do tip the branches at that stage but have not tried oiling.

      Delete
  2. Hi Daniel, when did the Smith ripen for you? Its great to hear that it is ripening in-ground for you in the PNW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ram, from early Oct through now. Still ripening. The are delicious.

      Delete
  3. Nice work Daniel on the in ground Smith. I think I will add a chip bud on my future franken fig in ground.

    ReplyDelete