Sunday, October 07, 2018

Healing "Summer Red" Maple Tree Trunk Wound, 6 Years Later. 10.7.18

Maple Tree Progress.  10.7.18
 This is a progress report, on a "Summer Red maple tree that we planted in September, 2012, update in 2914.  The nursery where we bought it is no longer in business.  My guess is they took damaged nursery stock from other places, to resell.  This tree was very inexpensive, but had a large wound - see lower photo or link.

I planted the tree with the wound on the southern side, to reduce potential for growth of rotting organisms.  Maple wood is hard, and I read that trees have a process to seal off internal wounds, that stops spread of any potential rot.

Here we are, 6 years later.  The tree has flourished and grown.  It has beautiful fall color.  I wondered if the small root ball size would result in a dead tree.  It did not.  This was a very hot dry summer, historic I think.  I did water it about every 2 weeks, with water that I bailed out of the duck pond when replacing that water.  That was about 15 gallons every 2 weeks.




Maple Tree When Planted.  9.20.12

Healing Trunk Wound.  10.7.18
Wound At Time of Purchase  9.20.12
The wound is nearly completely sealed.  I wonder what the darkened area indicates, lateral to the wound.   Is that growth of bacterial or fungal infection?  I don't know.  In retrospect, I would not buy a tree with such a large wound, nor would I recommend it.  It just seems too "iffy".  Still, 6 years later, it looks healthy, flourishing, quite beautiful.  Only time will tell whether there is a long term effect of that large wound.

No comments:

Post a Comment