Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Pawpaw Ripening Experiment. 10.16.18


"Sunflower" Pawpaws.  10.16.18
This is my pawpaw ripening experiment.  I cut the smaller one from the tree last week.  I placed it into a sealed container with a banana.  The banana gives off ethylene gas, which ripens some fruits.  I don't know if that is known for pawpaws.  I had it containerized

The larger one was tree ripened.  It fell off the tree one day earlier.

The result:
The banana-ripened one was a little firmer.  The seeds and flesh separated more easily.  The tree ripened one was more mushy.  As for flavor, the banana ripened one was a little less sweet, compared to the tree ripened one, and maybe the flavor was a little less tropical.  They were both delicious.

These were the variety "Sunflower".

Conclusion:  Artificial ripening of pawpaws may be an option.  Much better experiments related to timing of picking fruit, variety, and timing of artificial ripening, would be more revealing.  For me, if there is a surplus next year (a big "if"), I might try this again.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel.
    This is Vincent. I would like to ask you : will Deers like to eat persimmon tree or leafs ? Thank you Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vincent, yes the local deer do eat persimmon leaves and stems. My goal is to have the persimmon trees branch above the height where the deer graze. Meanwhile, I use fencing around each tree.

    ReplyDelete