|Daylily Seedlings 1 week after moving to seed starting medium.. 10.3.15|
Seeds were stratified for one month, damp paper towel in zipper bag in refrigerator. Then set at room temp in same damp paper towel/zipper bag. If mold starts to grow, I change the paper towel to a fresh one with fresh water. Checking every few days. They started germinating in 2 weeks. I planted in seed starting medium. They are under lights. The plan is get a head start, see if they can bloom next year.
Today I noted the first of the pod-parent Chicago Apache germinated. Most of those were pollinated with Fooled Me. Both are tetraploid. Depending on the genetics, they could be red, yellow, or other colors and probably have an eye zone. I also tried pollinating some Chicago Apache with the either incorrectly labeled or mutated, lavender, labeled "Daring Deception". I did not cover or emasculate them, so there is a random element as well. The last ones may be with the unlabeled "Vigaro" which has an eye zone and brick-red, almost brown color.
I have lots more seeds stratifying in the refrigerator.
|Daylily seeds 5 days after removing from refrigerator. 9.26.15|