Saturday, March 28, 2015

T-bud Grafting Update. 3.18.15

Apricot T-bud 1st leaf.  3.28.15

Hollywood T-bud 1st leaf.  3.28.15
Rainier Cherry T-bud 1st Leaf.  3.28.15
 These are some of the T-bud grafts that I did last summer.  All of the plums took.  Of the cherries, only 1 took.  I think that was Ranier, that is on Almaden Duke.  None of the tart cherries took.

It's an interesting process.  These are grafted in summer, June, July, August.  With a couple of exceptions, the buds remain dormant until the following Spring, which is now. 

I pruned off the stem distal / above the grafts, about an inch above.  Now they have no competition and should grow vigorously.

I did not label some of the well.  All of the red leaf are Hollywood, and most of the green leaf are Shiro. 

Since these have been on the trees for about 9 months, if they are growing, that must mean they are solidly grafted now.

I hope to do more T-budding this coming summer.  Maybe, for the ones that did not take, I did not do them tight enough, or took off the wrapping too soon.  I'm very excited that many did take, and it gives me a sense of wonder.

Shiro T-bud 1st Leaf.  3.28.15

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see progress on your cherry. I'm afraid of budding on cherry. I'm too new to know about growth compatibility rate. I grafted a Stella on Bink and they took so fast and the Stella looks like a big branch this yr. I live in a very windy area, bud graft might break off easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did very well, grafting cherry.

    ReplyDelete